Today I’ve completed 100 days of sewing lingerie!!
“Whyyyyyyy?” you may ask, and that would be a fair question. By way of intro – the 100 Day Project is a global, free art project – the idea is simply to choose something creative and do it every day for 100 days, and share that process online (read more here).
SO – after sewing my first underwire bra last September, I was pretty well hooked! And I figured a 100 day commitment would help me explore different techniques, fabrics & patterns that I might not otherwise. (I should add, it’s not for everyone, but it suits how my brain is wired!).
Here are my reflections!
Deciding what to make:
On day 1, I already had a fairly lengthy to-do list (!) and a “wish list” of patterns that I wanted to make.
Over the course of 100 days these plans chopped & changed a bit – partly because I don’t need more underwire bras (!!) but I also discovered some free patterns, as well as some great sales for pattern designers I hadn’t tried before.
Overall I bought 6 patterns during various sales (and made all of them – some multiple times). I also made these 4 free patterns:
– Madalynne’s Barrett bralet
– Pattern Scissors Cloth’s Ruby Slip
– AFI atelier’s Maya Bra
– Fehr Trade’s Lacey thong.
Just for fun, I signed up for 3 lingerie-related pattern tests – 1 PJ set, a sports bra and an underwire bra. These were effectively “free” (to me) patterns also.
I bought a lingerie advent calendar from Pitt Trading last December, so I had a bit of a “starter kit” which inspired my first few makes. I used a lot of leftover cotton & viscose jersey from my stash as well.
Almost all of my lingerie supplies are from Pitt Trading – an Australian online store. They have lingerie kits and underwires, as well as often having bargain remnant packs and the occasional sale! I also bought some neutral bra making supplies from Emerald Erin.
What I actually made:
In the first 50 days I mostly made underwire bras & underpants. After that I branched out into sleepwear & bodysuits (aka lingerie as outerwear!!).
Overall I made 40 items:
– 10 underwire bras
– 5 soft bras / bralets (incl 1 sports bra)
– 15 underpants, of which 2 were men’s boxers & 2 period underpants
– 4 sets of summer PJ’s (1 slip & 3 x 2 piece sets)
– 3 bodysuits
My absolute favourite item is my second Lawren bodysuit, which I wrote a blog post about (and is pictured in the Day 80 round up above).
I’m also really happy with these matching bra & undies sets –
There were 2 items that didn’t work out.
The Devonshire bra simply didn’t fit (also first off I made completely the wrong size!!). I’ll get back to it eventually …
My toile of Simplicity 8229 was a hot mess due to bungling the fabrics (although the second try was 👌).
How it went overall:
Overall I’m thrilled with what I achieved in 100 days. This style of project works for me, as I tend to stick with things once I’ve committed. I did sew (or do sewing prep) most days, missing a couple here and there due to sickness or travel.
I had a couple of WIP’s I wasn’t too excited about but I was keen to finish before the end…. and I mostly succeeded. I am half way through my final pattern testing commitment and have two other in-progress bra. Aaaaaaand 1,000 other plans…. 😜
I’ll admit, my motivation to sew lingerie took a nosedive at about day 75 and it was hard to recover!! The pattern tests fell in the last 2-3 weeks, so that helped (external deadlines ftw 😂😂).
All that being said – yes, there are still many, many more lingerie styles I want to try! I can barely believe it but it’s true. I still want to make a better fitting strapless bra, a plunge bra, a darted cup, a long sleeved bodysuit….
For now though, I need to make some *actual clothes* for this winter – my kids need some long sleeved tshirts & sweaters, etc, so I’ll be switching over to that for a while.
And my sewing machine is booked for a well-earned service! 😜